My goodness, this is very good. It really tastes like a pâté should. We use it as a spread for sandwiches and also for cracker snacks.
Yield: 1½ cups
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1½ cups watrer, lightly salted
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons nutritional uyeast
- 1-2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon tamari , Braggs Amino or light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon marjoram
- ⅛ teaspoon each allspice, niutmeg, rosemary
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1-2 teaspoon lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Soak the lentils for 1 hour or overnight.
- Place the soaked lentils in a pot.
- Cover with water (about 1½ cups).
- Add the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer until the lentils are very soft.
- Meanwhile, place the walnuts in a food processor and pulse to a fine “flour”.
- Add the seasonings and nutritional yeast, and pulse again to mix.
- When the lentils have cooked, drain any extra liquid off and add to the walnuts in the food processor.
- Add the tamari and lemon juice
- Pulse to blend.
- Season to taste.